- Before the storm: Be sure to unplug appliances and power cords to prevent power surges. If you will be using a portable generator, check it ahead of time and consider having a licensed electrician assure that it operates safely. Test your home’s carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors.
- During the Storm: Stay indoors and away from windows and glass. In a power outage, use flashlights – not candles – for lighting, and use a battery-powered radio to receive safety updates.
- After the Storm: In the event of flooding, if water breaches your house and reaches the level of electrical outlets, do not use the outlets until a licensed electrician has checked them. If electrical equipment or appliances suffer water damage or power surge, be sure to have your electrician service the items to determine whether they must be replaced, repaired or reconditioned.
- On leaving your home following a severe storm, watch for fallen power lines and report them to authorities. Never drive through water if a fallen power line is nearby and never touch the lines.
More Storm Safety Resources
- Find more advice about surviving severe storms, making a plan and creating a disaster kit at READY.GOV.
- View this video to learn the 5 steps to prepare your home for a hurricane or severe storm
Home Insurance TipWhen you are coping with a severe storm, the one thing you don’t want to be worrying about is whether you have the proper insurance coverage. So, be sure to have a conversation with your insurance agent well before any severe storm or hurricane is expected. Be sure that your Homeowners insurance policy offers enough coverage to rebuild your current home if necessary and that there is sufficient additional living expense coverage as well. You should also ask what disasters your insurance policy covers and what percentage of hurricane/windstorm deductible is included. And don’t forget to have a current inventory of your home’s contents in a safe place at all times.
Tags: home insurance, homeowners insurance, renters insurance, hurricanes, severe storm, safety
You can count on our experienced insurance agents, here at the Schaefer & Delauder Insurance Agency, both in Germantown and Frederick, to help you review your current home insurance policy to be sure that you have the complete coverage you need. In fact, why not contact us to discuss a homeowners or renters policy review or any other insurance needs at your convenience?